Building A Weather Resistant Dropcam Case

Earlier this summer I finished fencing in our backyard so we’d have a place to leave our dog. The downside is that because it is blocked by the driveway we can’t really see into the yard from in the house. I wanted to setup a dropcam so we could monitor him from inside.

I started to look around and found a couple of good posts on building a weatherproof and weather resistant case for the drop camera. These were a bit more than what I was looking for. I wasn’t going to leave this outside 24/7 and I wanted to easily take the camera in and out. I’d most likely be using it on the weekends and days when I worked from home for a couple of hours at a time. 

I used Jamie’s basic design and decided to make some modifications along the way. The sets are below but let me know if you have any questions. 

Round 1 Supplies from HomeDepot

image

  1. 2in Trap Adapter
  2. Spray pain
  3. Cutting tool
  4. Plexiglass
  5. Silicone calk

As you can see the trap adapter has a screw end and looks roughly the same as the camera.

image

The camera fits nicely inside.

image

The next step is to cut a plexiglass disc that will fit inside the screw top.

image

I left the plastic on while cutting and fitting. Once cut I needed to sand the disc a bit to get it to fit sung in the top.

image

After this you can dry fit this by screwing it onto the base. Drop the camera inside and measure for the usb plug.

image

Mark and cut.

image

Cut and fit for the usb cable.

image

Dry fit everything again (can’t hurt).

image

My original plan was to cut an additional piece of plexiglass and bond that to the back. I swapped that for a black rubber gasket which is much easier to get on and off. 

image

Here is the whole thing assembled. I secured the plexiglass with the waterproof calk by applying it to both the inside lip and outside edge. 

image

One note about the cap. I just put this over the back. It is large enough that you could slide it all the way passed the USB cable. If you cut a hole through that it would be much more secure. 

Here is a test shot from inside. 

image

I haven’t figured out how to easily mount it but I did a quick zip tie job for today to test it out. 

image

And a shot from the camera in action, this still had the protective over it. When I removed it the image quality is much better.  

image

All in I think that it cost around $10 to make.